As we move into the midst of the holiday season, many of us will either be attending parties or hosting them. Here are 7 tips to help you create a stunning sweets table that will leave your guests in awe.
1. Choose a theme – First and foremost every sweets table design starts with a theme. The theme will also help you determine your colour palette. It can come from anywhere whether it is the time of the year, your favourite movie, place, moment etc. There are lots of great ideas on the Internet which I’m sure will help get your creative mind working.
2. Choose a Focal Point – “In fine art, a focal point focuses specifically on a point of interest which makes a canvas unique” Most sweets table use a cake as a focal point but there is no set rule. If you won’t be serving any cake, options such as a macaroon tower or floral arrangements works just as well. Think of the focal point as your showstopper piece.
3. Play with different heights – You will be surprised that having ordinary desserts presented at different levels creates an interesting presentation. I always love to divide my table into 2-3 levels. Main level usually for flat desserts and/or larger items such as cookies, mini cupcakes, tarts, and lollipops. For the mid section I would display desserts on stands like cake pops, éclairs, and doughnuts. On the highest level I place the cake and a few fancy desserts making sure they get all the attention they deserve.
4. Balance is key – Not all sweets table have to be symmetrical like the one I have here, but do keep in mind to keep your table balance. By balance I mean if you have something on one side, you should balance the table out with something similar in height or width on the other. This will result in a perfectly planned looking table.
5. Odd numbers are aesthetically pleasing – Making another reference to art anything that is grouped in odd numbers are more appealing, memorable and effective. When designing the table, although you need to remember to be balance try to group your items in 3s or 5s if you want to draw attention to them.
6. A Variety of Desserts – The thing that makes sweets table so amazing is the variety of desserts options available to your guests. You can have mini doughnuts, cheesecake, and sugar cookies, bulk candy, cake pops, cupcakes; the list goes on and on. I would recommend staying within 5-8 options so there is enough interest on the table.
7. Décor & Backdrop – Finally, the thing that completes all sweets table is décor. Adding bits of relevant décor items and a backdrop adds interest and will bring the entire table together.
Remember, like with any creative project there is no right or wrong. Just have fun with it and your guests will definitely be impressed